Day of Persons with Disabilities
The International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD) is annually observed on 3 December to promote the full and equal participation of persons with disabilities and to take action for the inclusion of persons with disabilities
Why is Day of Persons with Disabilities important
Disability inclusion is an essential condition to upholding human rights, sustainable development, and peace and security. It is also central to the promise of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to leave no one behind. The commitment to realizing the rights of persons with disabilities is not only a matter of justice; it is an investment in a common future.
How to observe Day of Persons with Disabilities
Around the world, physical, social, economic, and attitudinal barriers prevent people with disabilities face from participating fully and effectively as equal members of society. They are disproportionately represented among the world’s poorest individuals. People with disabilities lack equal access to basic resources, such as education, employment, healthcare and social and legal support systems. They also have a higher rate of mortality. Yet disability as a whole has remained largely invisible in the mainstream development agenda and its processes.
It aims to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development and to increase awareness of the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic, and cultural life.
- United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy (2019)
- Secretary-General’s report on the implementation of the UN Disability Inclusion Strategy
- A Disability-Inclusive Response to COVID-19
- Policy Brief: A Disability-Inclusive Response to COVID-19
- “UN Flagship Report on Disability and Development | 2018 – Realizing the SDGs by, for and with persons with disabilities”
- Accessibility and the status of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Optional Protocol thereto
- UN and other international NGO
- Non-Profits website for the observance