Healthy Vision Month
Promoting the importance of healthy vision and regular eye examinations is a daily undertaking for doctors of optometry, but it’s a message that’s especially strong in May. This month, participate in Healthy Vision Monthand educate the public about what they can do to ensure their vision and eyes are healthy. This observance is organized by the National Institutes of Health’s National Eye Institute (NEI).
Why is Healthy Vision Month important?
In order to spread the message about making eye health a priority and make you aware of Healthy Vision Month, several resources are available to doctors and the public.
How to observe Healthy Vision Month
We support all efforts that:
- Call upon governments and health systems to recognize the importance of detecting and diagnosing risk factors, and preventing and treating the HDPs and related NCDs;
- Encourage additional research funding into preeclampsia and related disorders;
- Prioritize patient and community education and treatment for these disorders;
- Prioritize education, training, and access to medical resources for healthcare providers;
- Address prevention through a better understanding of the causes and through access to appropriate, safe, and effective treatments;
- Encourage collaboration and partnerships between public and private sector organizations to support and advance these goals.
- Get regular dilated eye examinations from an eye care professional.
- Live a healthy lifestyle by maintaining a healthy weight, eating nutritious foods, abstaining from smoking and managing chronic conditions.
- Know your family history, because many eye diseases are hereditary.
- Use protective eyewear to prevent injuries on the job, while playing sports or doing simple chores around the home.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
In order to celebrate today effectively, you can spread the word about Healthy Vision Month with sample social media messages, shareable graphics, newsletter content, and personal stories.
- UN and other international NGO
- Non-Profits website for the observance
- National Eye Institute