Grandparents Day is an opportunity to treasure that connection and spend some quality family time together.
Why is Grandparents’ Day important
They Love Us and We Love Them: Our Grandparents love us. They can be stubborn and opinionated but in the end, they always want what’s best for us.
- They Have More Wisdom Than We Think: Our grandparents have seen all kinds of things and lived a lot, through all that living it’s not surprising that they learned a thing or two. They have so much to pass down and we should take some time to listen.
We Wouldn’t Be Here Without Them: Let’s be real, if it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t be here. They raised our parents and they made time to spoil us when we were little, it’s only fair we return the favor now.
How to observe Grandparents’ Day
No matter what you decide to do in honor of National Grandparents Day, if it’s done with love, it will special to grandma and grandpa. You can Interview Grandparents
Times have changed since grandparents were young, and kids will be fascinated to find out what life was like when grandma and grandpa were growing up. Grandchildren can interview their grandparents about their childhood and record their findings. McCumsey recalls that when she completed this activity with her granddaughters, “They were amazed that we didn’t have a television when we were really young.”
Grandparents love photographs of their favorite kids, so incorporate pictures into a project. Johnson suggests making a place mat by laminating a photo collage or adding magnetic tape to the back of a photograph for a special refrigerator decoration.
In order to celebrate today effectively, here is a list of resources you can use to make the day special – or to plan ahead
- There are six activities in total, including:
- List 5 things that are great about your Granny!
- Draw a picture of you and your Granny
- Write a story of an adventure you have had with your Granny
- Write an adventure story you’ve had with your Grandpa
- World’s best Granny certificate
- World’s best Grandpa certificate
- UN and other international NGO
- Non-Profits website for the observance